Monday, February 6, 2006

Organising from the right-side of the brain


Hee.. went to borrow this book that I chanced upon in Popular Bookshop. Wahhahaha... I was chuckling while reading ( I am 1/4 done, but I just had to stop and pen this down ;p). So many things I wanna write but dun know how to organise..haha.K

, some characteristics of a Right-Brainner that I've checked are: Absentminded, Clutterer, Curious, Disorganized, Easily distracted, Emotional, Fun/playful, Impulsive, Inconsistant, Indecisive etc etc. (Guess all of us will check one or the other)

This book suggest ways that a right-brainner can organised his/her space and things in the way they are tuned to. For example, he suggested pile instead of file your papers cos filing our papers are just not what we do. In fact, I have been using this system even before reading the book. I just chuck lose papers in files or folders and shelf them according to the subjects. My room and desk are forever messy. Guess I just can't stand a clutter-free desk *shudder* It becomes sort of like a security blanket for us already. Since we are absent-minded, outta sight means outta mind, we need to see the things to remind us of their existence. My desk.... although I would like it to be clutter free, fact is I clear my desk in the morning, it will revert back to its original state in the afternoon.. -_-"

Being very emotional ppl, we tend to retain all keepsakes we had to remind us of the memories, and that = loads of rubbish. Okie, the book suggested the things to be kept in a box and when the box is full, sieve out what you dun want, and if you really want to keep a little something, keep only 1 thing of that memory/event and do away with the rest. This is what I have been doing also... V^_^

Other tips to share are breaking down the task to smaller ones that we can maximise our attention span on. So for example clearing your wardrobe, you could spend the first half of the day trying all your clothes to make sure they still fits, then clearing your desk, then back to clearing away those clothes that no longer fits etc.

This book not only teaches you to organise, it also brought out some points to ponder on. Just as much I'll like to retain my "individuality", some of the traits of a right-brainner is not going to do me good. Ppl fear change, especially if they have to change themselves. I am. I was unwilling to change cos I fear I would lose my identity that I carried with me since young although it will be for the better. If I change, I will no longer be me! But as I grow older and see more, I began to losen up. I am still dealing with this "identity crisis" after 2 years or so. Guess this is a real hard barrier to break. :) What is heartening is that I've gown and matured and I am not so stubbon as to just do it my way. Life is a journey of self-discovery and I hope I am able to find the true meaning along the way.

PS. If you checked the above traits, you can grab this book for leisure reading, a good food for thought. :)


No comments: