Thursday, December 1, 2005

Hotel New World

Duh.... can you imagine I just spent 5 hours (over 2 days) reading Night Fall by Nelson Demille and what a GREAT disapointment it was!! :( Story with no ending...... no wonder its selling at half price when its published date was 2004....

Wasted my eyesight and time.... hummp.

Okie, back to what I really wanted to write today. Saw the episode of True Courage Hotel New World when having our Emergency Behaviour lecture. It happened in 1986 and that was the first time a building collapsed in Singapore. It really was a mind-shattering accident and left very deep impression in our nation man untill today. We can see how the nation bend together, helping in what small ways we can, with the rescue work and some aunties cooking and bringing food for the rescue workers. It was a tragedy. What was most heart-wrenching was the ger named Angela Chew.... she was only 2 meters away from the rescuers when the make-shift tunnel dug by the MRT experts (most of them expats but risk their lives to dug the tunnels to the surviours) collapsed. 10 hours were wasted because of the collapse and the next time they came into contact with her, she had already bleed to death..... I can really empathise with the rescuers and doctors .. a life had slipped out of their hands when they were so near yet so far away from her. She was only 20. Can you imagine the surviours had to endure whatever torment they had physically and mentally for as long as 82 hours for some? Guess people perform miracles in times of adversity.... you never really know your limit or the best/ worse in you unless you are thrown into that situation.

I was only 9 years old then. I can still remember my tots at that time... I was thinking, why aren't I older, I would have lended my hands to the rescue work back then. Maybe that unconsciously geared me into choosing my present career. Somemore I still had the ambition of being a nurse at that point of time. Did I ever mentioned my ambition was to be a nurse when I was like in Pri 1?? I carried that all the way into my secondary school days untill my mum managed to brainwashed me... :p But as fate would have it.... I am back in the medical line and got a even better deal, a mixture of medical and adventure.. YEAH!!;)

Frankly I just realised regardless whether I don a uniform or not... I am still sticking to an organisation....... no prize for guessing rite.... with uniform. Dun ask me why this fetish with uniforms..... I can't answer you.. :p I need action, I need gung-ho-ness. Can't live without it.... perhaps due to the deduction that I was a man in my previous life?? Hahahhaa.... I am more suited to be a man -_-".

Anyway, done with this disappointing Demille book. Shall get started on "5 people you meet in heaven" which I borrowed from Joan.....

*like writing blogs cos there are so much feelings and issues I wanna talk about. You know, some times you can't keep harping to your audience... they will need ear plugs cos I know I have this bad habit of repeating the same thing over and over again to get it out of my system, be it good or bad.... :p

No comments: