Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Tots II

Yo, finally have the time to sit down and update my blog le. Let's continue from my prev prev entry "Tots I".

Nurturing

Saw this documentry sometime ago about young talents with remarkable achivements. The particular one I managed to catch was a 6 year old boy who has this in born talent with drums. He is able to memorize and pick up the rhythm and beat of the song just by listening to the piece. Amazing!! He could act out and follow the beat of the drums when he was only 2! Wow! This is what I called in born talent. And the most commendable thing is the kind of support and encouragement the family showed him. They bring him to Orchard for buskers performance and send him for lessons in drums. His parents really nurture his talent and allowed him to explore and develop his love for drums, something that the younger generation of parents will do, if it is within their means. Me too, as I've said to myself before, if I identified any talent in my children, I will make sure I do my very best to develop and nurture that talent. Cos it is really very rare that you are given that gift to be really good at something.

Like me, I know I have the talent in dancing as my mum told me I danced even before I know how to walk! It really is something in my blood. That is the only passion that I have ever since I was born. I can't even remember when I start loving dancing. Even up till today, the very idea of able to dance, no matter what kind of dance, is able to send the adrenaline in me pumping. Everything will be great and all my worries will be gone once I immersed myself in the music. There is no way to describe my passion for dancing. Had my parents been more abled, I might have the chance to develop this talent and passion of mine. Which is why I promised myself to fully support and encourage my children if they are good in anything.

Time Limited Marriage

Was reading this article in the recent issue of "Men's Health". The writer was writing something abt the evolution of today's marriages. Seems like nowdays, ppl no longer viewed the marriage vows as sacred as before. This is so sad! Look at the divorce rate in Singapore now, it is climbing even as I write this entry. And the years of marriage before a couple decided to go seperate ways is getting shorter and shorter. Is it because ppl are not serious when they decided to get married? How many times must a person be married? Isn't it "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part" ? I have seen too many cases of a spouse leaving another in ditch when they are in trouble. I've also heard of couples hiding from each other their financial status. Where is the trust and love in a marriage? Why is it ppl are not putting in effort to try and mend a r/s but instead look for the easier alternative of leaving? Maybe I'm in no position to say all these cos I also got myself out of a r/s because we no longer walk towards the same goals in life. I dun know. It is easy for 1 to walk out of the other when the feeling is gone and when you have no kids. But things will be different if you have children. Some ppl stayed in a unhappy marriage because of the kids, it is just so sad that how can a couple who were so loving to turn into stangers if not enemies? I really dun know the answer. I really really hope I can grow old with my partner whom I love.

Back to the article, the writer was suggesting to cut down the divorce rate, we should try this new marriage "contract" Time Limited Marriage. In this contract, the couple can state the period whereby they will honour the wedding vows maybe a time frame of 3, 6 or whatever time frame they like and after the term end, they can decide to renew or to go their seperate ways. What say you? I dun know lar, my stand is still 1 person all the way. Can't do much now too, still looking for the courage to be in a r/s again.....

No comments: