Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Careless me

Hiya, went to quite an interesting case on my previous nite duty. The patient was a 40+ yr old man complaining of neck pain and vomiting. Check his GCS was 15 but we load and go anyway. His wife told us that he complaint of headache for the past few days, but no signs of trauma. His conditions are as follows:

GCS: 15
BP: 180/113
No med history, complaint of pulling neck pain and vomitting.

His condition was quite stable enroute except that his BP was consider high since he has no history of hypertension. He could even transfer himself over to the hospital trolley when suddenly the doctor ordered him to be pushed to the resus area. His GCS suddenly dropped to 3! BP at that time was 208/ 130. The doctor suspect to be SAH and commented that we should call for standby if the BP is extraordinary high with no history of hypertension. I was so sad! How could I have missed the possibility of him sustaining HI? All the signs and symtoms are pointing to it..... I should not have take for granted that the patient was conscious and alert enroute doesn't mean his condition will not deteriorate.... *wallbash* HIAZZZ....

The best thing I've done for my last duty was my correct initiating of the correct protocol for an asthma attack patient. The poor boy called for ambulance himself when his asthma attack and he had difficulty in breathing. When we arrived, the boy was lying on the step of the lift lobby leading to his condo apt. Told me he has got an asthma attack and took a lot of alcohol. Upon auscultation, bilateral wheezes heard and so I gave him ventoline. He was drank, but still remembered his belongings that includes 2 stalks of roses made of serviettes. But there was a petal that was burnt.... :( So sweet..... but I guess the poor boy drank because of BGR. Perhaps he was trying to woo a girl and was rejected, or that he was trying to win back his girlfriend since he is still serving NS. Haizzz........ see open a bit lar... why get yourself drank and initiate an asthma attack?? Not worth it to lose your life over a girl rite?? Haiya.... luckily you can still call the ambulance to save yourself.... *rolleyes*

His lungs cleared after the dose of ventolin when we arrived at the hospital. Yah for me!! :p Hmmm..... should I have spoken more to the boy to find out what is really bothering him? Most of the time while enroute, other than asking for the relevant info and assuring them, I seldom talk to the patients. Am I being professional or am too cold? Should I comfort them and maybe lend a listening ear to them? *Shrug*

Raised my voice at a drunken patient in the ambulance. He was making a din and waving his arms ard, not answering to my questions. "UNCLE ! CAN YOU STOP MOVING YOUR ARMS ? WE ARE TRYING TO TAKE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE! PLEASE COOPERATE WITH ME FOR A FEW MINS! " and he indeed quieten for that few mins...phew.. *sweat* "THANK YOU (and you can continue your nonsense :p) " So fustrating when we were doing our things, I even tried taking his BP on his legs!! My medic was like quite shocked that I can be that firm to the patient cos he has never seen me in that kind of light given my cheerful, smiling and crapping character....kekeke... :p So, moral of the story, dun judge a book by its cover.... ;)

Wasn't too happy abt my mentor. He is SEXIST!! >:( I am not feminist but I dun like males stating that female are the weaker sex. Urgument started when I wanted to learn sliding down the pole since our new station design is so un-1-min activation time friendly. Know what he said? "Gers should not go down the sliding pole" Duh.... what kinda logic is that? What about our firewomen? "Technically speaking they are not woman...." WTF? Look down on women ar?? My training in the SAF is fake ar? And he die die want to win one lor.... kaozz *rolleyes* Dun understand them, MCPs!!! Last time Navy also like that. Now here also like that. Angry.... >:(

No comments: